An Occupational Therapist or Occupational Therapy Assistant is available to assist you with managing your safety and independence in your home.

Occupational Therapists provide assessment and advice to help you to do the activities you want and need to do, in and around your home.

The Occupational Therapist looks at areas you may be finding hard to manage, such as preparing meals, getting dressed, using the bathroom, getting in and out of bed and maintaining safe access in and out of your home.

Occupational Therapists apply to Whaikaha for long term disability related equipment and housing modification.

A limited amount of equipment is available for short term loan to enable people to return home from hospital. In addition, we are the island's sole stockist of Independent Living Service products and Seal Sure cast and wound waterproof protectors.

Occupational Therapists can carry out medical driving assessments, if your doctor or ACC have concerns about your skills for driving due to disability, injury or the aging process. In addition, our team provide a range of ACC funded OT services in collaboration with Geneva Healthcare.

The client may be referred by the hospital on discharge or by their:

  • Local Doctor (GP) or Medical Practitioner
  • Social Worker, Specialist Community Nurse or other Health Professional
  • Needs Assessment Services Co-ordinator (NASC)
  • Home Support Co-ordinator
  • Specialist Community Nurse
  • by a client him/herself
  • and/or their family/whanau


  • - ILS is a not-for-profit, community focused organisation committed to making daily living easier for people with impairments, their families/whanau and support networks. ILS sells disability equipment (including low cost items) and provides Information and Equipment advice from people who have personal experience of disability. ILS has a low cost equipment display that is situated in the reception area of the Waiheke Health Trust.
  • - Accessable can be contacted directly for the repair and return of Ministry of Health Equipment. Phone 0508 001 002